Featured Post

Fall is here! Clean out that fridge and freezer!

Well. Just six weeks ago my husband and I moved from one side of the country (east) to the southwest again. Now that the move is over fro...

Monday, September 28, 2009

DPI, Book Proof, Farmer's Market Produce, Cake, Basil and Pics Rant!

Well, I received the email I have been waiting for saying "my book proof was ready". I met the editing requirements. To rephrase "my pictures were at 219 DPI" the "best practice" for photos is to get them with @ 300 DPI, tried and tried to increase the DPI in my "food" photographs. While I am doing better than the original pictures count of 72 DPI, I am still not at 300 DPI. Therefore, my cookbook paperback will be at 219 DPI with black and white photos. I shall continue to strive to make the hardback book with color pictures as close to 300 DPI as I can. I hope that my picture taking skills improve, and that I have learned how to take "better pictures" or can do whatever it takes to get a "REALLY" good picture from this point forward.

That said I am awaiting proof number 2! I hope that my proof will arrive within the next few days and I can get the "marking aspect of selling this book: on the road this week and start offering my black and white paperback copy of Exploring Mexican Cuisine on my website and Amazon.com.

As for pics, I have tried to take pictures of tools I am using and have decided I will include a little more info and full color pictures in the full color hard back of my book, which will come out a few weeks later than the paperback copy of the cookbook.

I went to the local farmers market in Capitan this past weekend and got some gorgeous gigantic zucchini, fresh mountain grown huge tomatoes and some sprouted wheat bread. Today I went by my sister-in-laws place and grabbed a handful of fresh basil. To make the vegetable sauté I got out my sauté pan and I added:

1 T olive oil
1 quartered, sliced zucchini
2 roughly chopped slices of purple onion
1 large diced tomato
1 clove garlic
1/2 t each of fresh black pepper and sea salt

I let the onions wilt, added the fresh torn basil leaves, and let it all cook down until the basil had wilted. I served fresh cabbage with a CIDER VINEGAR Vinaigrette from my cookbook "Exploring Mexican Cuisine: Abuelita's Kitchen" along with smoked Cornish game hens which my husband had prepared. YUMMY. Then I made my carrot cake but substituted 1/2 of a fresh shredded zucchini to the "carrot cake" recipe and added 1 cup of pineapple cut in small chunks and made 1/2 recipe of Cream Cheese Frosting:

4 oz softened butter
4 oz softened cream cheese
2 cups of powdered sugar

Mix Cream cheese and butter well, add powdered sugar and mix well. It will cover the top of a whole cake 13" x 9". My husband loves the cake and it leaves allot for leftovers and I will freeze 1/2 the cake in individual servings so he can grab it/defrost it whenever he wants it.

Now, to start on the article pertaining to fall in the Mountains, which my NM Writers Club is writing. I still need to put up that carrot, zucchini, and pineapple cake with cream cheese frosting, which is sitting in my kitchen right now.

Um, maybe time for a VERY SMALL late night snack and a glass of milk!

No comments: